Sunday 11 April 2010

Grand gestures on a budget


My mum is one of those folks who want cards to say exactly who they are to and from - To my loving Brother and Sister in Law etc. She also used to see the size of the card as a direct reflection on how much people cared for her. I remember the looks when the cards weren't of an appropriate size and didn't say To Mum on them. But she'd love this place - on Great Junction Street in Leith - definitely cards for every occasion.

This wouldn't normally be the sort of shop I'd enter but I'm so glad I did - because at the back beyond the Hearts Greatest Fan cards lies a section of amazing cards from the V&A, Tate RIBA etc - all at 39p each or 3 for a pound.

I was in there with a friend on Friday - it was her initiation into the delights of The Card Shop. It started off with just three cards - she had already organised the cards for this year - so really didn't need any. Finally she took away a dozen and excitedly reminded me as we trolled past Tesco's that they had only cost her four quid. I walked on with a satisfied and knowing smile.

Though maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that was where we got her birthday card from!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, Captain Value - about time! I've added a link to your blog at mailbaghickory.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete