Sunday 5 September 2010

There's more to life than books you know


I am in a Book Club at work and we try to read a novel every six weeks or so. One of my colleagues is an avid book reader and has regularly suggested that I pop over the road to the Waterstone's when there is a 3 for 2 offer to purchase the novel. My repost is to say that I have a place where you get access to books for free.

I love reading - and in a previous post have mentioned the delights of the three for a pound offer at my local Hearing Dogs for the Deaf charity shop in Musselburgh. However, I also frequent my local library and am also lucky enough to have an Edinburgh library card.

Free public libraries have been in existence in the UK since the mid 17th with Chetham’s Library in Manchester opening in 1653. And in Scotland, the Innerpeffray Library was founded in 1680.

I was disappointed by the news from England that the numbers of adults visiting libraries has reduced every year since 2005. There is a suggestion that library services should move into pubs / supermarkets - I am not against this per se but there would have to be a concern that this is a first step to reducing library services. There are no current figures for Scotland but with councils being under tight financial constraints, they may be in the firing line.

Libraries have moved on from being stuffy repositories of books and the occasional CD – my local library in Musselburgh has computer access and to free wifi - with friendly / informed staff.

So support and use your local library cos if we don’t – they may be gone before you know it.

1 comment:

  1. Another first for Manchester!! Sorted. Mad fer it.

    ReplyDelete