Sunday 28 November 2010

St Andrews Day weekend


Yesterday was one of those classic Scottish days - sunscreen and sou'wester.

With it being the St Andrews Day weekend , the Government's agency responsible for a number of properties / castles - Historic Scotland - has a weekend where there is free access. I had heard positive things about a couple of places in East Lothian - Tantallon and Dirleton Castles. At nearly a fiver a pop, I had yet to take the plunge.

So this seemed a perfect weekend. I took the bus out to North Berwick and walked along to Tantallon Castle. It started with bright sunshine but I could see the weather coming in - with the Bass Rock slowly disappearing into the grey, snow-laden clouds. The wind whipped the hail into my face so hard that I had to hide behind a stationary van. By the time i reached Tantallon the sun was again shining. And it is a stupendous castle sitting high on a cliff with superb views across the Forth.

After a good troll round I stopped off to buy some sausages on North Berwick High Street and then took the five minute bus trip to Dirleton. This didn't have the same dramatic feel as Tantallon. However, it sits high on an outcrop of rock and I am looking forward to returning to have a look at the Gardens.

So thanks to Historic Scotland - and if you are looking forward in 2011 to a trip to Edinburgh then this weekend is well worth it with the start of the Winter Festivals as well.

I could have made bigger savings with a trip to Edinburgh castle where it is £12 a throw if you buy up on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment