Sunday 18 July 2010

Staff of Leith


I remember that Scotrail used to advertise the Glasgow to Edinburgh train journey by using two genteel ladies extolling the virtues of the rival cities - saying "Morningside, Kelvinside: Morningside, Kelvinside" the smarter part of the two cities. I always think of Leith as Edinburgh's slightly louche cousin - the sort of aunty you would always want to turn up at family parties because you knew she was fun and, with a wink and a finger to her mouth saying shhhh, would pour a little vodka into your pop.

Though it's been suffering a little with the tram works - Leith Walk still offers such a wide range of shops that it would be difficult to think of anything you couldn't buy somewhere along it.

Which brings me to Storries!!! I have been aware of Storries at 279 Leith Walk for ages - and there are loads of references to their steak pies. I think they used to do a breakfast pie - containing bacon and egg. They also do cakes / scones etc and I think they now offer hot drinks. Not sure of the opening times - but definitely early.

Having given up buying bread for a while, I was shocked to see how much a decent loaf had got to in the local supermarket. Well the Doctor was looking for a sausage sarnie for her brekkie, so on the way home I dropped in for some rolls.

Unfortunately they had sold out but I was offered one of their Wheaten Loaves - for the princely sum of 45p. What a great loaf, tasty bread with a crusty top - and with Findlay's sausages made a breakfast fit for a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment