Sunday 4 July 2010

We'll always have Leith


Whilst the aim of Captain Value is VFM, there has been a suggestion that my aim in life is cheapness. Can I give an example of something which is not cheap but is high on the VFM stakes due to its innate quality.

I was fortunate as a student to have worked for a couple of companies very near Paris. One of the delights of the French capital, and France in general, is the quality of the bakery products. On the times i have been back I have taken every opportunity to try one of those fruit tarts with a sort of creme anglaise on a crispy pastry base.

I have bought a number of these from UK supermarkets / bakers and the disappointment has always been the pastry. The fork slides through the fruit and custard and passes squidgily through soft pastry. However, my memory has always been of a similar early experience with the French patisserie version but as the fork broke the pastry there was a satisfying crack to the crispy pastry.

So when I discovered La Cerise on Great Junction Street in Leith, I wanted to try their tart as a test of their patisserie skills - and I wasn't disappointed even at the princely sum of £2.10. I have been back a number of times most regularly with a chum and his young daughter. We generally restrain ourselves on the cake front with lunch of a quality sandwich and coffee - but take muffins etc back for our respective partners. But when I go with my work colleagues - ladies who lunch shall we say - cake is always on the cards. But I suppose every place has to cater for its local clientele and one of them had a Mars bar toastie with ice cream - what a Scottish dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment