Sunday 31 October 2010

Best Before Baxters


I once said to someone that I'd know that I was comfortably off if I could go into Valvona and Crolla on Elm Row in Edinburgh and not have to worry about what anything cost - ahhh - an Epicurean world to which to aspire.

Anyway - still a long way off there!!! The nearest I can get is the once in a while panini.

Working in Leith I occasionally visit Ocean Terminal and head to the delicatessen that is Baxter's. I always wonder who the customer base is - it has things of interest: a fine range of booze, chocolates and ranges of Scottish and Baxter's products....but hardly VFM. Maybe it's the Britannia crowd??

The best I can usually do is to visit the reduced table - which becomes better stocked as the month goes on with the short dated products. So for example, on Wednesday I managed to get a whole Selkirk Bannock for 50p which was fine to the end of the month. Very satisfying with a cup of tea on Saturday. There was also other items such as cinder toffee and various sauces reduced. If you are relaxed by best before dates they are a good way of getting some very pleasant things you wouldn't normally afford.

Seems I have become such a regular that my partner has given me superhero powers - calling me Bargain Baxter Man. A former colleague who is much less relaxed about before dates was christened Full Price Friend.... the Batman and Robin of Scranner city.

See you there at the end of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment