Sunday 12 December 2010

If music be the food of love....


It's a difficult posting week. Because of the weather it feels like all I have done is go from home to work to home - with hardly a step to go and do the shopping.

However, on Saturday post thaw, I caught a shop stereo playing White Christmas by Bing Crosby - and the phrase "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" provoked a hollow laugh after the past few weeks.

So I was really glad that the Guardian printed some suggestions for Xmas songs in the paper on Friday. The friday Click to Download section in the Culture pullout is a mine of information.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/dec/09/click-to-download-sound-of-2011

I have never been a great fan of Michael Jackson. I recognise the quality in his output in the 80s / 90s - but it was never where I was musically But my Summer 2010 listening was a mashup of his music with that of Fela Kuti. And I think my Xmas tune this year won't be Thurl Ravenscroft and the Pixies with "Santa's too fat for the hula hoop" but a mashup available below

http://falalalala.com/2010/12/santastic-v-snow-man/

So if you want an alternative Xmas musical experience - then the Guardian link will take you to a world where Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer can be found cheek by jowel with Roxanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment