Sunday 27 June 2010

Well I Golden Wonder


Remember a few years ago Jamie Oliver looked to promote healthy eating in schools and the kids' mothers pushed chips through the school fence to the youngsters.

Well, I'm not a great fan of Mr O: his cockerney geezer persona gave me an excuse not to shop at Sainsbury's - though he does a mean recipe for baking salmon in the oven with anchovies and tomatoes.

In the medical journals, the five a day mantra is now being replaced with a push towards nine a day as five is really a bare minimum- sometimes you just know things aren't gonna happen. I think I eat fairly well but don't think I can manage nine regularly.

Anyhow - I always thought the healthy eating push was unfortunately doomed to failure and I saw two perfect examples this week. As you can see from the picture - if you are going to eat unhealthily - then you might as well do it cheaply - and here we have a Chippy loyalty card and discount scheme for kids in a local town. Don't want to promote but if you send me a message I will pass on the details.

And secondly, yesterday was a lovely day in Glasgow. Buchanan Street was busy with shoppers soaking up the rays. But the busiest place wasn't a shop but the area around the three wheelie bins of Golden Wonder crisps being doled out. Free Tomato Ketchup, Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion crisps were to be had by all. As they say - owt for nowt, be there with your barra. Took a couple of packets for the snap boxes this week - but wondered if a fruit based equivalent would have been so successful!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment